Street names and house numbers

Find out how to deal with street names and numbers for new developments and changes to your current address.

Please note, from 1 April 2021, there are new procedures and charges for our street naming and numbering service. 

New developments

Contact us when we approve your planning application for a new development. This includes the split or merge of an existing property.

You need to provide us with:

  • a location plan
  • a development plan showing the main access to all properties
  • the total number of properties in the development
  • level plans to show individual access to flats from the main access point
  • a planning application reference number

New streets

We're responsible for giving names to new streets.

We'll consider requests for specific names from developers. 

New streets will also need new signs, which developers are responsible for installing.

Contact should be made with property services to agree a specification and location for the new signs.

Property numbers

We're responsible for giving numbers to new properties.

We'll mark each property with its street number and let you know you the official addresses.

We'll also let other relevant organisations know such as:

  • emergency services
  • Renfrewshire Joint Valuation Board
  • Ordnance Survey
  • Royal Mail

We'll then add the property to our Corporate Address Gazetteer (CAG) as 'under development'.

Royal Mail

Royal Mail handle the postal town and postcode for the development.

They'll add the property to the development as 'not yet built'.

We'll let you know when Royal Mail confirm the postcodes.

Tell us when the development is complete

You must let us know when the development is complete so we can activate the new addresses.

You need to provide us with the building standards warrant reference number.

We'll also ask Royal Mail to activate the addresses in their database.

If you don't let us know, the people who live in the new properties could have problems. For example, utility and finance companies won't recognise the addresses.

Amend or change a house name

If your property is already registered with Royal Mail, contact the CAG team.

You need to provide:

  • a location plan marking your property
  • a current address
  • a proposed name for your property

We'll check the name isn't already being in used in your area. If it is, we'll ask you to provide another name.

When we approve the property name we'll add it to our database. If your property has a street number we'll keep this in our database.

We'll also let other relevant organisations know such as:

  • emergency services
  • Renfrewshire Joint Valuation Board
  • Ordnance Survey
  • Royal Mail

Problems with current address

Tell us if you're having problems with your current address such as you're not getting your mail or your address not being recognised.

You'll need to provide us with the location plan marking your property and your current address.

How to apply

To apply for new or amended street names or numbers follow these steps:

  1. Email your request to and send the information as explained above. We'll register the request, email you with a reference number and advise you how to pay for the service.
  2. Go online and pay (quoting the reference number) and then email us to advise us that you have paid. We check the payment, validate the application and process the request.
Street naming and house numbers fees
Name a new street (price per street)£313.20
Change a street name£313.20
Single change of an existing house number or name£83.50

Registering and numbering of new properties 
Sliding scale as follows (number of properties per application):

2 to 10£300
11 to 50£500
51 to 100£800
Re-numbering a new development after earlier naming/numbering has been confirmed (price per street)£313.20


You can only pay by debit card or credit card. You must quote the reference number given to you as above.

Pay online (opens new window)

Last modified on 1 April 2024