Report an abandoned vehicle

Find out how to report an abandoned vehicle.

Service information

We'll help you deal with any abandoned vehicles in your street or locality. When a vehicle is reported to us, we will carry out a number of checks before deciding the vehicle has actually been abandoned. 

Before you start

If the vehicle is on private land please contact the land owner in the first instance as we can only move the vehicle if requested directly by the land owner.

We can't take any action on road traffic offences. Please report uninsured vehicles, vehicles causing an obstruction or vehicles you suspect may be stolen to Police Scotland on their non-emergency number, 101.  

When is a vehicle classed as 'abandoned'? 

A vehicle can be considered to be abandoned if:

  • the owner doesn't live in the immediate area, and
  • the vehicle doesn't have current Road Tax, and
  • the vehicle doesn't have a valid MOT

Check if a vehicle is taxed on the GOV.UK website.

If the vehicle has a valid tax, statutory off road notification (SORN) or MOT it won't be considered abandoned (regardless of its condition) and can't be investigated.

How to report an abandoned vehicle

If a vehicle is untaxed you can report it to the DVLA.

Report online.

What happens next

We won't investigate an untaxed vehicle if it has a valid MOT or uplift a vehicle (even if it causes an obstruction) unless we've made official enquiries to trace the owner first.

Our enquiries can take time and we need to know and demonstrate to the DVLA that there's no ownership of the vehicle and that it's been abandoned by the owner.

Some vehicles can have significant value and can't be classed as abandoned because it's in a poor condition, untaxed or without MOT. However, this information may help us to prove that the vehicle has been abandoned.

Last modified on 6 October 2022