Report a change that affects your benefits

Tell us as soon as possible about a change of circumstances that might affect your benefits.

To give you the best customer experience we've recently upgraded our council tax and benefits system. We kindly ask for your patience while we process the applications received in the period between the old system closing and the new system opening. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please email if you're experiencing any financial difficulty. Our staff are always here to help.

If you don't tell us right away, we could pay you too much benefit and you'll need to pay it back.

Changes you need to report

You must tell us if:

  • income goes up or down for you or anyone you live with
  • you or your partner's savings or capital changes or if it goes above £15,999
  • someone moves in or out of your home
  • your rent changes
  • you or anyone you live with has started or stopped getting Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credits
  • if you change your address
  • if you or your partner go into hospital or are taken into custody
  • if you or your partner are temporarily absent from home for more than 13 weeks within Great Britain
  •  if you or your partner or anyone else in your household are temporarily absent from home for more than 4 weeks outside Great Britain

Report a change in circumstances


You must let us know within 1 month of the change.

Tell Department of Work and Pensions 

Remember you must also tell the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) about changes that might affect your benefits.

Contact DWP through the Jobcentre Plus website.

Contact us


Phone: 0141 577 3002

Last modified on 4 December 2020

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon