Apply for a portable traffic signal permit

Find out how to apply for a portable traffic signal permit.

Service information

If you wish to erect a set of portable traffic signals on a public road in East Renfrewshire you must apply for a portable traffic signal permit.

Use this service to:

  • Request permission for use of 2-way portable light signals and for confirmation that specific site approval is NOT required
  • Apply for portable light signal site approval where a junction is involved

Before you start

Applications must include a site plan prior to completing the application.

You are responsible for all temporary traffic management, works planning and risk assessments. You must take into account site-specific factors such as schools, zebra crossings, traffic signals, and commercial and industrial activity.

At least seven full working days' notice is required for all works other than emergency and urgent works.

Read the conditions which must be considered when making your application.  

How much does it cost?

There is no charge for 2-way lights but a charge of £144.95 is applicable for site specific approval when a junction is involved.

How to apply?

Submit the online form below, ensuring you complete all relevant sections including the name of the road you wish to erect the portable traffic signals on, the reason for them and the proposed start and end date.

Apply online

What happens next?

Once your application is approved, we'll be in touch to arrange payment.

If your application is refused you will be contacted and informed of the reason why.

Last modified on 1 April 2024