Care homes

Information about residential and nursing care homes for adults and older people.

We want to support you to lively safely in your home. However, in the situation that this isn't possible we will discuss with you and your family what the options might be.

Where it's felt that a care home is the best way to meet your needs we'll help you to identify a suitable care home.

How to access the service

The decision to recommend a move to a care home will follow an assessment by a member of the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) staff.

You can also be referred for an assessment by a:

  • doctor
  • member of hospital staff
  • local housing officer
  • welfare rights officer
  • Citizens Advice worker
  • relative
  • carer

Even if you plan to arrange and fund services yourself, it's still a good idea to get an assessment of your care needs to ensure all your care needs are identified and that you're aware of any help that may be available to you from your local council or the NHS.

What's available?

The type of care home will depend on the support you need, which will be agreed through the assessment. There are 2 types of care homes for older people:


Care homes that provide personal care such as washing, dressing and giving medication.

Health support can also be provided from members of the visiting health care team such as a doctor, community nurse or physiotherapist.


Care homes that provide personal care, but have at least one qualified nurse on duty 24 hours a day to carry out nursing tasks.

How do I choose a care home?

There are 14 care homes in East Renfrewshire. 

If you're thinking of moving into a care home, you've the right to visit the care home before moving in.

Care homes should have their own brochure describing their services, which you can request at any time.

How much does it cost?

The costs for a care home depend on the services provided. There will be a financial assessment undertaken by the HSCP assessor.

Last modified on 3 April 2024