Disabled Persons Reduction
Find out about disabled persons reduction and who can apply
Who can apply?
If you or anyone in your home is disabled and there are facilities that are required to meet the needs of the disabled person within the property you may qualify for a Disabled Persons Reduction on your Council Tax.
The property must have been adapted or have extra space which is essential or of major importance to the disabled person e.g. a room or extra feature without which, the person would have extreme difficulty living in the property or the persons health would suffer or their disability would become worse.
What evidence do I need to submit?
- Additional Bathroom or Kitchen - A letter from your landlord confirming when this work was carried out / completed or if you are the owner a letter from the Contractor who carried out the work.
- A room predominantly used by the Disabled Person - A letter from a Carer/ Social Worker or Occupational Therapist confirming reason for this room.
How do I apply?
When you've completed your application, you can submit it online together with any evidence.
At the bottom of the Council Tax online screen, select 'Submit evidence to support my application'
What happens next?
If you submit your disabled person's discount application online with the correct evidence, we'll process your application as follows:
- Stage 1 - Submit Online
- Stage 2 - Application processed
- Stage 3 - Email confirmation - application approved
- Stage 4 - Reduction applied to your Council Tax account if approved