Council tax discounts and exemptions
Find out if you're entitled to an exemption or discount on your council tax.
To give you the best customer experience we've upgraded our council tax and benefits system. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience. Our teams are working very hard to get through the applications, refunds and enquiries received as quickly as possible during the time our system was unavailable.
Please email email@example.com if you're experiencing any financial difficulty. Our staff are always here to help.
Some households are entitled to a reduction in council tax based on personal circumstances or the condition of the property.
Single person's discount
Council tax is issued on the assumption that 2 adults are living in the property. If only one adult lives in the property, the council tax is reduced by 25%.
Residents that aren't counted when working out the number of adults who live in a property include:
- long-term hospital patients
- people with a disability
- people with a mental impairment
- care workers
- care leavers
- people with a second home or an unoccupied property
- youth trainees
- people whose main residence is a hostel or a night shelter
- people who are members of religious communities
- people in prison
- people under 18
While these residents are not counted towards the number of adults that live in a property (single person's discount), they may be eligible for a different discount.
An exemption may be awarded from payment of council tax where a property is unoccupied or is solely occupied and:
- undergoing major repair work or structural alteration
- due to the death of the last occupier
- held for use by a minister of religion
- due to repossession
- difficult to let because it forms part of another property
- due to legal prohibition
- owned by a charity
- was last used in connection to agriculture
Certain properties may also qualify for exemption where all the occupants are:
- under 18
- severely mentally impaired
- under 20 and are school or college leavers