Skip to content

For the latest service updates relating to coronavirus visit our coronavirus information web page.

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Pay your council house rent

Pay online and other ways to pay your council house rent.

Pay online

Make a rent payment online

Standing order

pdf icon Download rent standing order form [119kb]


Phone 0141 577 3030 24 hours a day.

Post office

You must bring your rent card.


Make cheques payable to East Renfrewshire Council.

Write your name, address and rent account number on the back of the cheque.

In person

Pay by cash or debit card by calling into one of our offices.

We are open Monday to Friday 9.00am until 4.15pm.

Between 1.00pm and 2.00pm, only debit or credit card payments can be taken.

Help paying your rent

If you claim DWP benefits or are on a low income, you might be able to claim Housing Benefit or other benefits.

Find out if you're getting the benefits you're entitled to

If you are a East Renfrewshire Council or Barrhead Housing tenant and claim Universal Credit you can request a free Money Management Account with Pioneer Mutual Credit Union.

Contact Pioneer Mutual credit union

Please note, following this year's rent increase, those who receive Universal Credit (UC) will complete their claim for the increase in housing costs through their online journal on or after 6 April 2020.  

If you need advice or assistance, you can contact any of the following:

  • Your Work Coach
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Money Advice and Rights Team (MART)

Discretionary housing payment

If you get Housing Benefit you might qualify for extra help with your rent.

You might qualify if:

  • your Housing Benefit is reduced because of the benefit cap or spare room subsidy
  • you need help to stop you becoming homeless

How to apply

Council tenant rent responsibilities

You need to:

  • pay your full rent and other charges in advance as it says in your tenancy agreement
  • tell us about changes that could affect any Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction
  • tell the DWP about changes that could affect help with housing costs

Rent arrears

If you're having problems paying your rent, it's important you tell us as soon as possible.

The sooner you tell us, the more chance we have to help you.

If you don't pay your rent you may be evicted from your home.



Phone: 0141 577 3664 or 0141 577 3707

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)