Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Planning and Building Standards

High hedges

This page provides information on high hedges including application forms and notes for guidance.

The procedures introduced by the High Hedges (Scotland) Act 2013 came into effect on 1 April 2014. They are intended to provide an effective means of resolving disputes where a high hedge is blocking light to a residential property.

When can I complain about a high hedge?

If you consider that there is a high hedge on nearby land that is blocking light to your property, you can apply for a high hedge notice. This should be used only as a last resort when other attempts to resolve it amicably with your neighbour have not been successful.

If you are considering applying for a high hedge notice, please read:

The guidance will give you the following information:

  • how to apply for a high hedge notice
  • outlines the steps that you need to take to show that you have attempted to resolve the matter with your neighbour
  • details of how to apply (including completion of the application form, submission of documents and payment of the fee of £440).

The application form is available (including the guidance) at:

The Scottish Government has also produced guidance for local authorities which provides fuller information on procedures:

What happens when you submit an application for a high hedge notice?

The application will be dismissed if:

  • It is considered to be submitted on insufficient grounds.
  • If it is considered that the applicant has made insufficient attempts to resolve the matter amicably before making the application.

Once the application is validated we will then:

  1. Consult with the hedge owner
  2. Visit the site
  3. Make a decision

It is not the role of the council to mediate between the parties, but to act as an impartial decision maker.

Once a decision is made

If the council decide to serve a notice, the hedge owner may be required to reduce the height of the hedge or even remove it altogether. The council may also impose a requirement on the owner regarding the maintenance of the hedge in the future. The parties will be advised of the decision in writing and both the applicant and the hedge owner have a right of appeal if they are unhappy with the decision made.

If you are unsure of the process or wish to discuss the detail further, please contact our planning service:

Development Management
2 Spiersbridge Way,
Spiersbridge Business Park,
East Renfrewshire.
G46 8NG
Tel: 0141 577 3001

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)