Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Planning and Building Standards

Planning applications

How the planning system works

Development Management is the system by which the council processes planning and related applications. The system operates in the long term public interest and not to protect the interests of one person or business against the activities of another.

There are a number of stages at which people interact with the council's planning service.

For general development management /planning application enquiries and advice, a duty officer will be available from 8.45am to 1.00pm, Monday to Friday.  No appointment is necessary for general enquiries.If you call into the office, without an appointment after 1.00pm, you will not be seen by an officer.  For enquiries, or to arrange an appointment about a specific planning application that has already been made, please contact the officer allocated to your application between 8.45am and 1.00pm, Monday to Friday.If you phone after 1.00pm, please leave a message on the officer's answerphone and they will contact you as soon as they are able to do so.  Alternatively you can email the service at for any Development Management related enquiry and a team member will respond to you as soon as possible.

From 1st April 2018, East Renfrewshire Council will no longer accept cheques as a payment method for planning and building standards applications

Find out if you need to apply for planning permission for development or building work.

Apply online for planning permission.

The following is a summary of our procedures once your application has been submitted.

Search and view current planning applications (including planning decisions) online.

Find out how to comment on planning applications.

How to challenge a planning application decision.

How to report an unauthorised development and the council's planning enforcement powers.

When to consult with local communities if submitting a major planning application.

Information on current consultations being conducted.

This page provides contact details and information on trees covered by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) and in Conservation Areas.

View copies of recent screening opinions (under the EIA Regulations) where development could have a significant environmental impact.

You can make a high hedge application if it's blocking light to your house or garden.

What to expect from Development Management (planning service) and our performance information.

Information on how Planning Aid Scotland helps people engage with the planning system.

Find the council planning forms not available on the ePlanning Scotland website for offline submission.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)