You must complete a termination tenancy form to end your tenancy agreement.
A council tenancy automatically ends when a tenant:
- dies and there's nobody with a legal right to take over the tenancy or those with the right choose not to take it over
- abandons a house leaving it empty and doesn't respond to a follow-up legal notice
- receives a court order for eviction after we tell you we will raise a court action to recover the property
Apply to end your tenancy
You must give us 4 weeks' notice and pay your rent and council tax during this time.
Before you leave the property
We'll carry out an inspection before you leave the property. This is to find out if any repairs are needed before a new tenant can move in.
We'll also check if there are any repairs you may be responsible for. You need to carry out these repairs before you leave the property. If you don't and are moving to another council property, it could affect the move.
You need to:
- make sure decoration is fresh and clean
- make sure cupboards, surfaces and bathrooms are clean
- remove furniture and personal items from the house, shed and loft
- remove carpets, unless you've agreed with us to leave them
- make sure internal doors and fixtures aren't damaged
- replace fixtures that you have removed, such as light fittings, unless we've agreed you don't need to
If we need to carry out repairs you'll be charged for the work.
How to return your keys
You must pay any outstanding rent before you return your keys.
Label your keys with your name and property address and take them to a council office.
You must give us also give us a forwarding address and contact number.
If you're moving to another council house, you'll need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit.
You must tell the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) if you get housing costs included in your Universal Credit payment.
Leaving without notice
If you leave your home without giving notice:
- you'll still have to pay rent for the 4 weeks' notice period, even if you don't live in the house during that time
- you'll be responsible for legal costs for any action we need to get access to the house and replace locks
- you may also be responsible for repair costs
Phone: 0141 577 3001