Self Directed Support
Find out about Self Directed Support and how it could benefit you.
Self Directed Support (SDS) is the support you purchase or arrange to meet agreed health and social care outcomes.
SDS allows you to choose how your support is provided and gives you control of your budget. Your budget can be:
- taken as a direct payment
- allocated to a provider you choose (where the council or provider holds the budget, but you are in charge of how it is spent)
- allocated to the council to arrange and choose a service
You can also choose a mixture of all 3 for different types of support.
How can SDS help me?
SDS allows you to have choice and control over the support you receive. This could be:
- having support staff visit you at times you choose
- enjoying the consistency of care that comes from employing your own personal assistants
- the flexibility of using your budget to purchase services that meet your needs
How to access SDS
SDS is accessible to anyone who is assessed as requiring social care support.
An assessment is an opportunity for you to tell us about your circumstances and discuss your care and support needs.
If you'd like to request an assessment, get in touch with our Initial Contact team.