Alcohol and drug services

Find out about the help available for individuals experiencing problems with alcohol or drug use.

Naloxone is a life-saving drug that can reverse the effects of an opiate overdose.  Anyone can  Request a Naloxone kit from Scottish Families Affected by Drugs, which will  be posted out to them.  Naloxone can also be accessed from local services by calling the Community Addictions Service on 0141 577 3368 or emailing

Community Addiction team

Our Community Addiction Team can help and support you if you've a problem with alcohol or drug use.

What's available?

  • Help and support with alcohol or drugs problems
  • An appointment to talk to us in confidence about the problems you are experiencing
  • A full assessment of your needs with a recovery plan for your care and treatment with regular reviews
  • A range of 'talking therapies' and medical treatment to assist your recovery journey with a range of goals including becoming alcohol and drug free, controlled use and harm reduction
  • Assessment for alcohol detox
  • Medication assisted treatment for drug use
  • Protective medications for alcohol use
  • Mental health and physical health assessment for alcohol and drug use cases
  • Referrals to education, training and employment services

How do I access the service?

Initial referrals are made to the Community Addiction team by your doctor or other professional services.

You can also self refer by phoning 0141 577 3368 / 4027 or dropping in to talk to us at: St Andrews House, 113 Cross Arthurlie Street, Barrhead, G78 1EE

How much does it cost?

Charges only apply for residential services. There's no charge for community based services.

Help with costs

A financial assessment will be carried out for any residential service needed.

Community Recovery team

If you're stable in your recovery, you can be referred to our Community Recovery team who can provide a range of support to help you continue with progress made and offer opportunity to move onto education, training and employment.

The Community Recovery team also includes family support for anyone concerned about their family members alcohol or drug use. Family members can access this support even if their relative isn't involved with the service.  Family support can provide specific details about alcohol and drug use, behaviour change and some practical approaches that may be helpful to the family member. Family members can also be involved in the recovery care plan of the person using alcohol and drugs if their family member agrees to this.

What's available?

  • Help and support to stay alcohol or drug free
  • A recovery plan with regular reviews
  • One to one support
  • Group work program of recovery
  • Links to wider community resources
  • Support with personal development including education, training and employment
  • Support for family members

How do I access the recovery service?

Initial referrals are made to the Community Addiction team by your doctor or other professional services. 

East Renfrewshire Alcohol and Drugs Partnership

East Renfrewshire Alcohol and Drugs Partnership is a multi-agency group tasked by the Scottish Government with reducing alcohol and drug related harms through partnership working. The partnership meets 3 to 4 times per year and is supported by an implementation group which meets more regularly. The following organisations are members of the partnership:

  • East Renfrewshire Council and the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) including recovery services, children and families social work, criminal justice and health improvement
  • NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Police Scotland
  • Third sector providers of alcohol and drugs services
  • Local recovery community

East Renfrewshire alcohol and drugs plan 2020 to 2023

A new plan to reduce alcohol and drug related harm in East Renfrewshire has been developed by the partnership and approved by the East Renfrewshire Integration Joint Board.  Over the next 3 years, partners will work together to deliver the actions in the plan.  Many of our actions will involve working closely with people with lived experience and the wider community to understand needs and inform how we deliver the planned actions.  

Icon for pdf View the alcohol and drugs strategic plan for 2020 to 2023 [649.68KB].

Icon for pdf View the alcohol and drugs delivery plan for 2020 to 2023 [810.66KB].

Last modified on 16 December 2021