Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Adults and older people

What is Self-Directed Support?

Self Directed Support (SDS) allows you to choose how your support is provided, and gives you as much control as you want of your individual budget.

SDS is the support you purchase or arrange to meet agreed health and social care outcomes.

Your budget can be:

  • Taken as a Direct Payment (a cash payment).
  • Allocated to a provider you choose (where the council or provider holds the budget but you are in charge of how it is spent).
  • Allocated to the council to arrange and choose a service.

You can also choose a mixture of all 3 for different types of support.

Who can access SDS?

SDS is relevant to everyone who is assessed as requiring social care support.

This includes people with physical disabilities, people with learning disabilities, carers, older people, people with mental ill health, carers and children and their families.

An assessment is an opportunity for you to tell us about your circumstances and discuss your care and support needs.

How can it help me?

SDS is not for everyone and many people are completely satisfied with receiving services that are arranged by their local authority. However you could really benefit from having choice and control over the support you receive. This could be:

  • Having support staff visit you at times you choose.
  • Enjoying the consistency of care that can come from employing your own personal assistants.
  • The flexibility of using your budget to purchase services that meet your needs more creatively and individually.

How do I get SDS?

If you already get support, the next review of your support will give you the opportunity to ask about SDS.

If you don't already get support get in touch with Customer First (customer services, numbers listed on this page) to ask if you can have a social work assessment.

Customer First (customer services)
Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park,
East Renfrewshire.
G46 6UG

Council Buildings,
211 Main Street,
East Renfrewshire.
G78 1SY

Tel: 0141 577 3001
Mon to Fri: 8.45am - 4.45pm

Where can I get help and advice?

There are various organisations who can support you. These include:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)